Southwest Roadracing Forum Index Roadracesw
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southwest Roadracing Forum Index -> Racekraft and Technical Q/A -> Leather Cleaning - By Barnacle Bill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GothicBeast
WSBK Racer

First Name: Jason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Leather Cleaning - By Barnacle Bill Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

So I am on the WERA board and got linked to this old, but useful post by Barnacle Bill and cleaning your leathers.

For us in the southwest, the racing season is about to start. Why not consider to clean those leathers, so they are nice and fresh for the re-start of the season. With the last round in December and the first round of '08 starting in January, this is your last chance to clean your leathers up good for the next 9 months or so.

WERA Board, Leather Cleaning - By: Barnacle Bill - 07-24-2004 wrote:

OK . here are the instructions and warnings again for cleaning leathers.. most leather suits can be cleaned n a heavy duty washing machine. hey it's just dead skin isn't it? what do you wash your skin with ? soap and water. strip the armor and removable padding out of the suit. in some suits this requires opening a seam in the lining if an access opening is not provided. turn the suit inside out while it is washing. after the spin cycle lay the suit on a flat surface . don't hang it up for it will stretch a mile. as the suit starts drying out start turning it inside out. usually once or twice a day and before it is dry start applying a leather conditioner. any lanolin based hand lotion will work fine for this. don't get caught using your wife/girlfriend's expensive imported brand on your suit. she will know where it's gone from the smell and you will pay dearly afterwards. just get the cheap generic kind from wal-mart . figure this cleaning process taking a least a week. don't get rushed and put the suit up before it is totally dry and keep the suit stored where it can get good air flow to prevent mildew and mold ( very bad) be forewarned that some suits with red and white combinations can bleed . do a test sample on these first. they require hand cleaning. we offer a cleaning surface and Darethea earns her money doing it but it is nothing most individuals can't do. no smoke and mirrors or voodoo rituals required for this. all suits need cleaning at least once a year if nothing else than to remove the sweat salts from the leather . it's a real leather killer so get it out of there. that's about all for the cleaning process. hope it helps. the best to all . everything is moving along here just fine. still mowing the grass evfry week, repairing and making the suits and dog wrangling daily. Booger and I take a run to the river in his sidehack about everyother day or so. he is trying to talk me into bring him to the gnf this year . he is going on 9 now and won't have too many more oportunities. I will just have to find somebody to pilot his hack for him if i am too busy working . good wked to all. Barnacle Bill and Darethea

BTW, I love talking to Bill... He fixed up my leathers first rate Smile

Sponsor
Woody
Amateur Racer

First Name: Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I might give that a try.

CCS #227
CKiley
Freddie Spencer Graduate

First Name: Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Any good local leather repair places?

www.allstonearmy.com
www.asmaracing.com
www.rubanatugracing.com

ASMA AM #97
Titanium Cranium
Amateur Racer

First Name: Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Chuck, give me a call about leather repairs. I'll have to dig out the card from the guys who just fixed my leathers. They replaced a few seams that burned through from sliding and a couple of areas where sections pulled apart for $35. They also did my boots where the soles were peeling off and modified them so the soles are stiched on as well as glued so they shouldn't come off anymore. They were very cool to deal with and got it done very quickly.

RRSW/CCS Ex#9

Just bring some marshmallows because you'll get to roast them if you hang out with me long enough!
Woody
Amateur Racer

First Name: Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Titanium Cranium wrote:
Chuck, give me a call about leather repairs. I'll have to dig out the card from the guys who just fixed my leathers. They replaced a few seams that burned through from sliding and a couple of areas where sections pulled apart for $35. They also did my boots where the soles were peeling off and modified them so the soles are stiched on as well as glued so they shouldn't come off anymore. They were very cool to deal with and got it done very quickly.

Can you post it up here Tom cause that would be good to have.

CCS #227
F. Richard Head
Amateur Racer

First Name: Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Leather Repair Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"Broadway Shoe Repair" and the guy's name is Lucas.
43 E. Broadway
Tempe, AZ
480-968-5830

Alan
MotoGP Winner

First Name: Alan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Leather Repair Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

F. Richard Head wrote:
"Broadway Shoe Repair" and the guy's name is Lucas.
43 E. Broadway
Tempe, AZ
480-968-5830

withstupid

He helped me with my last suit and did a nice job. I did have a problem with a zipper he used and he re-did it without any questions.

CCS EX #4
New Riders Clinic Instructor

Thanks to my sponsors:
TheAppleXchange.com, Kurveygirl.com, The Helmet Center, NAPA, LP, Dunlop, Pitbull, Vortex and Vesrah
Deb
Amateur Racer

First Name: Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

s

i called lucas about a 2-piece suit that was too short to zip together (without giving the wearer an extreme wedgie!) he said he could MAKE it fit and it wouldn't be obvious how. Smile

he's magic... with leather.

Smile

i am the female representative... of the royal couple of verbal ass pack. you may kiss my (O-)RING! queen

would that make me the FIRST "lady" of THIRD input?
CKiley
Freddie Spencer Graduate

First Name: Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Well I have two sets of leathers now.

One I just got and upon further inspection found 6" cuts by the pucks under the velcro that were covered by tape! They fit decent though but they are black (who cares as long as the protect me right!)

My second set are the red/white/black ones you all have seen. The were big to begin with but following my goals I am now down to 174 lbs. If they can be refitted with out spending a forune on them I'd like to do it, otherwise I'll just sell them (now that I know what will fit).

Doing spares of ALL things to prep for the 08 race season! Wink (finally, right?) I have a few more things to set up but I'll take those things with a grain of salt and do what I gotta do.

www.allstonearmy.com
www.asmaracing.com
www.rubanatugracing.com

ASMA AM #97
Deb
Amateur Racer

First Name: Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

has anyone tried this!?!?!?

my leathers smell like all 12 goats it took to make 'em!

deb

(i sweat... like a man, BABY!)

i am the female representative... of the royal couple of verbal ass pack. you may kiss my (O-)RING! queen

would that make me the FIRST "lady" of THIRD input?
GothicBeast
WSBK Racer

First Name: Jason

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Deb wrote:
has anyone tried this!?!?!?

my leathers smell like all 12 goats it took to make 'em!

deb

(i sweat... like a man, BABY!)

I sent out my suit for this exact cleaning by Bill... they came back smelling nice and perty Smile

Mark Weiss
Freddie Spencer Graduate

First Name: Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Tuff Stuff Leatherwear does great repair work.
1716 e McDowell Rd

Good color matching, patch and seam work, reasonable rates too.

Mark

leanangle
Freddie Spencer Graduate

First Name: Jody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

So... in the quote above, it says to turn the suit inside out while washing, then turn it inside out when starting to dry. Can I safely assume the instructions mean to turn it inside out while washing, then turn it RIGHT-SIDE-OUT while drying???

dryheat
MotoGP Winner

First Name: Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

leanangle wrote:
So... in the quote above, it says to turn the suit inside out while washing, then turn it inside out when starting to dry. Can I safely assume the instructions mean to turn it inside out while washing, then turn it RIGHT-SIDE-OUT while drying???

What about the left side?

#93 CCS/SW
#93 MoM

Thanks to my sponsors...
Krewe of Helios :: Helmet Center :: Dunlop :: swroadracing.com :: Pit Bull
Sonoran Desert Cycle :: Southwest Suspension :: RunGP :: Jim Cox Racing
slowey
Amateur Racer

First Name: Joey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

dryheat wrote:
leanangle wrote:

What about the left side?

Smart ass!

CCS #53

Sportbike Solutions http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/
   Southwest Roadracing Forum Index -> Racekraft and Technical Q/A All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: